What’s the difference between cleaning and disinfecting?
- Cleaning is washing and air drying to remove mostly visible debris.
- Disinfecting is killing and removing most germs from the item.
What can I Clean, Disinfect and Reuse?
Most supplies can be cleaned, and/or disinfected and reused.
- All masks and mouthpieces
- Adapters (blue or clear)
- Omni-flex adapters
- Water traps
- Nebulizer kits and IPV hard plastic parts
- Permanent Corrugated Tubing
- Humidifier Chambers
- Whisper Swivel
- Oxygen Bottle
What requires specific cleaning methods?
- IPV circuit hoses, nebulizer tubing, and oxygen tubing can be wiped down and flushed with an alcohol solution (below)
- Shiley and Bivona Tracheostomy parts must be cleaned in accordance with manufacturers’ guidelines
What CAN NOT be cleaned, disinfected, and reused?
Heated wire circuits and filters should be changed only when visibly soiled, DO NOT WASH
CLEANING: After treatment or when an item is visibly soiled
- Wash hands prior to cleaning respiratory equipment.
- Wash in HOT soapy water. It is acceptable to use liquid dishwashing soap.
- Rinse in HOT tap water.
- Place equipment on a clean paper towel and allow to air dry
DISINFECTING: At Least Weekly / As Needed
- Clean the parts following the instructions above.
- Completely submerge parts in the chosen solution for the recommended time (below)
- Rinse in HOT water, place on a clean paper towel, and air dry
- Discard the solution daily
- Vinegar and Water Solution (1:3 ratio): Mix one-part vinegar and three parts water for 30 minutes.
- Alcohol Solution: 70% isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol for 5 minutes, no mixture.
- Bleach Solution (1:50 ratio): Mix 1 teaspoon of household bleach with one cup of water for 3 minutes.
- Hydrogen Peroxide Solution: 3% hydrogen peroxide solution no mixture for 30 minutes.
MAKING STERILE WATER: (use with humidifiers)
- Bring tap water to a boil
- Once boiling continue for 5 minutes and then remove from heat
- Once cooled place in a cleaned container